The fall is here and with it comes three of my favorite “F’s”: Football, Fairs and Food. Let’s leave food out of the equation for now and focus on the topic at hand… career fairs!
Campus career fairs are a great way to jump start your career search and land your dream job months before graduation threatens you with the reality of ‘adulting’. But with the promise of job offers, money and all the glory… career fairs can be a stressful event. The lines, ill-fitting suits, and intimidating Recruiters lie ahead to judge every ounce of your being.
Luckily, HireYou is here with some trick and tips to kick any Career Fair’s butt and get you once step closer to your professional dreams.
Career Fair 101 HYR Style
Prepare, prepare prepare- Career fairs can feel like a giant cattle call aimed to find the prized pig. To enhance your chance of standing out, take every opportunity to polish up.
- Visit your career center- Many campuses offer workshops or mock interviews. Take advantage of these (often free) resources to kick start your preparation.
- Focus on resume content- You will have one shot to make an impression with your resume at a fair, make sure it error free, properly formatted and clearly highlights your accomplishments.
- Suite up- Bring out your Sunday’s finest. Select dark and neutral colors to leave a lasting professional impression.
- Have a plan of attack-Research the top companies you want to visit during the fair and positions you are interested in. Be mindful of the qualifications of the role, and tailor your resume to highlight why you are the best fit.
- Be ready to talk-You only have a few minutes with each recruiter, think through what you want to convey in that time and go for it! Don’t leave the discussion up to the Recruiter, drive the discussion.
Most importantly have fun! Relax and enjoy. Even if you are a freshman looking to explore, you are never too early to start networking and building connections with organizations and your fellow classmates. Use the fair to explore your strengths and potential areas of advancement to get you one step closer to landing your #dreamjob.
Leave the hard work up to the team at HireYou Resume, submit your resume or cover letter today!